One of the benefits of living in Florida is the active lifestyle. Being involved in organized sports is a fantastic way to maintain healthy living while enjoying the lovely weather that Naples has to offer. As we get older, we may notice some changes in our body. These changes may include loss of elasticity in our tendons or ligaments, as well as a decrease in strength of our muscles. This puts us at risk for injuries, especially during sporting activities.
You may not be able to perform at the level you once were able to when you were younger, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t exercise at all. Exercise is vital to staying healthy. It is essential to play smart in order to avoid injury. Here are some tips on preventing sports related injuries as you age:
- Warm up and cool down
- It may sound obvious, but if your muscles and tendons aren’t warmed up properly, they are at greater risk for injury, such as a tear or rupture. Cooling down is important to allow your body to recover from the increase in activity that you just performed.
- Know your limitations and listen to your body
- If you are having unusual pain or discomfort with your activity, you should stop and consult your doctor to take appropriate action and prevent it from worsening.
- Wear proper footwear
- This doesn’t just mean wearing tennis shoes. Your footwear needs to fit appropriately and provide adequate support. They provide a foundation for your entire body. Tennis shoes should be replaced every 6-12 months.
- Rest between exercise
- Adequate rest is necessary to allow your body to recover. Hydration is key especially in this hot and humid environment.
- Keep it regular
- Maintaining a routine schedule helps your body become accustomed to an active lifestyle. Waiting too long between exercise sessions can put abnormal stresses on your body and potential injury.